The technology of recognition of pictures has become more than just a science fiction feature. Because today, picture recognition is mainstream even for basic users. For instance, it is now affecting eCommerce, the government, and also the tourism industry.
In this post, we will take you to the implications of facial recognition in the tourism industry.
Facial Recognition: Definition & Modern-Day Examples
Facial recognition is the technology that makes use of modern artificial intelligence. Somehow, it is used for biometric functions. It eases the search of people through their faces. It also takes facial features, skin textures, color.
Thus, identification and verification of identity are now simplified through facial recognition.
Which of these facial recognition functions are you familiar with?
- Facebook tagging- makes use of facial recognition tagging pictures. For example, in identifying human faces from digital pictures
- Apple’s Face ID- uses facial recognition as a biometric login. This further confirms a user’s identity upon login
Yes, facial recognition surpasses yesterday’s expectations of technology. It is now used to further impose security measures. Preventing unauthorized logins or accesses, for instance.
Recognition Of Pictures: Implications For Tourism
In which areas of tourism do you think is picture recognition useful?
Tourism surely deals with a massive amount of guests, travelers, and customers. The manual way of dealing with this is surely tedious and time-consuming.
But, the technology of facial recognition can surely expedite the process. Not to mention that it can do so without compromising accuracy. Instead, with better and more precise results.
Consider the following ways in which it provides benefits in the area of tourism.
1. Improves Customer Experience
How does facial recognition influences customer experience?
Consider the following ways where it can be matched with a hotel’s database in providing personalized hotel services.
- Personalized hotel services. Facial recognition can help hotel services deliver personalized services. For example, when the hotel camera identifies a repeat customer. The hotel staff can then provide loyalty rewards and perks for these recurring customers.
- Specific services even for first-time guests. Facial recognition can also be used when hotels ask for customers’ pictures during the booking process. By doing so, hotel cameras can identify them fast when they enter the premises. So hotel staff can then greet them personally by name. Booking information and details are also better offered even upon the first contact.
2. Enhances Security
As already mentioned, facial recognition can also help enhance security.
Consider the following ways.
- Easy granting of access. Facial recognition can ease the verification of identity with hotel guests. Gym access, hotel rooms, lounge perks, and more hotel services, for instance.
- Quick notification of people with bad records. Facial recognition can also quickly send alerts. For example, when people with bad behavior enter a facility. As a result, they can easily be removed from the premises. Also to help them easily report them to the authorities.
Certainly, facial recognition enhances the delivery of tourism services. Not only that but it also better equips tourism entities in making use of customer data.